Boston University, Boston, Mass.
Sept. 2007 – May 2011
Bachelor of Science in Journalism
Minor in History
Assistant Editor, The New York Times — Oct. 2020-present
Supervise a team of talented staff editors who program the homepage and write breaking push notifications. Duties include:
- Working both independently and alongside other assistant and deputy editors to direct homescreen layout and copy for the Times’s prolific, award-winning journalism
- Writing and editing breaking and enterprise push alerts, which are delivered to the Times’s vast digital audience
- Coordinating with desk and masthead editors on homepage coverage priorities for nytimes.com and the Times’s news app
Adjunct Professor, Boston University — Sept. 2020-Dec. 2020
Taught JO200, an introduction to newswriting course at the College of Communication. Duties included:
- Crafting twice-weekly lectures and activities for a class of about a dozen undergraduate students
- Assigning and grading news assignments, readings, and current event quizzes
- Meeting with students one-on-one to discuss their work and career goals
- Adapting to a hybrid teaching model during the Covid-19 pandemic
Homepage and Digital News Editor, The Boston Globe — Jan. 2016-Oct. 2020
Oversee a small team of Globe.com producers and writers as a homepage and digital news editor on the Express Desk. Duties included:
- Directing homepage layout and helping write and proofread Twitter, Facebook posts and breaking e-mail and app alerts.
- Writing and editing breaking news, webby sidebars, and relevant stories based off what’s buzzing in politics, local news, sports, social media, and more.
- Brainstorming and A/B testing headlines, pulling and updating wires, and generally making sure BostonGlobe.com is up to date, free of errors, and as interesting and relevant as possible.
- Working with the Globe’s top editors daily to coordinate the digital presentation, production, and timed releases of Page One stories and features.
- Occasionally coordinating with prestigious departments, including the Spotlight Team, on the digital roll-out of special reports, major projects, and enterprise pieces.
- Analyzing metrics from Chartbeat, Omniture, Socialflow, Mailchimp, and Urban Airship to make decisions on what stories to feature on the homepage, app, and social platforms.
- Continuously striving to think creatively about out-of-the-box approaches to present digital content while keeping true to the Globe’s trustworthy brand.
- Helping with scheduling, payroll, recruitment, hiring, and training for both the Globe.com and Metro/Express Desk divisions of the newsroom.
Sunday night Metro editor, The Boston Globe — Dec. 2017-Present
On Sunday nights, marry Express Desk and digital skills with traditional Metro editor’s duties. Oversee a team of reporters and interns, assess and assign breaking news stories, and help edit the Globe’s Metro print section for Monday.
Content Producer, The Boston Globe — Aug. 2014-Jan. 2016
Work both independently and part of a team to lay out BostonGlobe.com’s homepage, craft social media posts, and send breaking news alerts.
Freelance Reporter, The Boston Globe — March 2014-Aug. 2014
Regularly pitch and write stories for the Globe’s regional and Metro sections.
Your Town Reporter, The Boston Globe — May 2011-March 2014
Cover several communities in Boston’s MetroWest area, focusing mainly on Framingham, Natick, Watertown, Waltham, for The Boston Globe’s regional sections and Boston.com’s Your Town vertical.
State House Reporter, The MetroWest Daily News — Jan. 2011-May 2011
Cover state-level politics for the largest publication in Boston’s MetroWest area as part of Boston University’s State House program. Typically filed several pieces a week.
FREELANCE, TEMPORARY, AND COLLEGE EXPERIENCE
- The Worcester Telegram and Gazette – Business Freelancer (Dec. 2010)
- The Massachusetts Medical Device Journal – Business Freelancer (Sept. 2010 – Nov. 2010)
- Citysearch Boston – Editorial/Social Media Intern (May 2010 – Dec. 2010)
- The Daily Free Press (BU) – Assignment Editor (Jan. 2009 – May 2009) | Staff Writer (Sept. 2008 – May 2010)
- The BU Quad – Founding Writer | Columnist (Sept. 2009 – Dec. 2010)
- Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Reddit, Pinterest, Vine, Tumblr, etc.)
- Content management systems, blogging templates. (Methode, Lotus, Moveable Type, WordPress).
- Basic knowledge of Excel, Access to analyze story-supporting data.
- Working knowledge of HTML, Adobe Photoshop 7.0, digital and video camera operation, SEO headline writing.
- 2014 Pulitzer Prize, Breaking News – Awarded to The Boston Globe for Marathon bombings reports.
- 2013 Online News Association, Breaking News (Large) – Awarded to Boston.com/Bostonglobe.com for Marathon bombings reports.
- Dean’s List – Boston University, Boston, Mass.
- New England Center for Investigative Reporting: Completed workshop on how to obtain and analyze government data, SEC filings to uncover fraud under the Affordable Care Act. (June 2014)
- Knight Center for Journalism: Certificate, “Investigative Journalism for the Digital Age.” (June 2014)