Boston University, Boston, Mass., Sept. 2007 – May 2011 | Bachelor of Science in Journalism, Minor in History
The Boston Globe, Boston, Mass.
Nightside News Editor (January 2016 – present)
- Oversee all breaking news — local, national, political, sports, and beyond — for Bostonglobe.com during night shift
- Spot potentially viral topics and refocus them into stories that resonate with a local digital audience
- Rework print-based Boston Globe content for the digital reader
- Help manage all main social media accounts associated with The Boston Globe
- Oversee a small team of nightside web producers
Content Producer (August 2014 – December 2015)
- Produce aesthetically pleasing content for BostonGlobe.com, write SEO-friendly headlines, craft web teasers
- Create photo galleries, produce interactive infographics for online stories, slot headlines on section webpages.
- Cull wires for stories, pull relevant photos and art, manage The Boston Globe’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Globe West, Globe South, Metro Desk, Boston.com’s Your Town (May 2011 – present)
- Written over a thousand stories for The Boston Globe, including a handful of Page One stories. Now cover about a half-dozen regional communities on a general assignment beat for Globe West and Globe South.
- Reported from the ground on both the Boston Marathon bombing and Watertown gunfight. Covered Watertown on a beat as the community rebounded from the manhunt for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in April 2013.
- Regularly pitch and report on complex breaking news, centerpiece features, and investigative pieces for the Globe’s regional and Metro sections. Take photos, video for the Globe’s online sites.
- File FOIA requests for data and documents as needed. Follow up with officials to receive in timely manner.
- Comb through local news sources, social media sites daily to uncover story ideas. Quadrupled followers of several Boston.com Twitter accounts. Produced multimedia pieces.
The MetroWest Daily News, Framingham, Mass. (Jan. 2011 – May 2011)
State House Correspondent
- Filed up to four stories weekly from the State House under rigid deadlines, in addition to taking college classes.
- Regularly pitched, broke news on state and financial issues through a local lens.
- Cultivated sources such as state legislators, government officials, and local constituents on a political beat.
FREELANCE, TEMPORARY, AND COLLEGE EXPERIENCE
- The Worcester Telegram and Gazette – Business Freelancer (Dec. 2010)
- The Massachusetts Medical Device Journal – Business Freelancer (Sept. 2010 – Nov. 2010)
- Citysearch Boston – Editorial/Social Media Intern (May 2010 – Dec. 2010)
- The Daily Free Press (BU) – Assignment Editor (Jan. 2009 – May 2009) | Staff Writer (Sept. 2008 – May 2010)
- The BU Quad – Founding Writer | Columnist (Sept. 2009 – Dec. 2010)
- Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Reddit, Pinterest, Vine, Tumblr, etc.)
- Content management systems, blogging templates. (Methode, Lotus, Moveable Type, WordPress).
- Basic knowledge of Excel, Access to analyze story-supporting data.
- Working knowledge of HTML, Adobe Photoshop 7.0, digital and video camera operation, SEO headline writing.
- 2014 Pulitzer Prize, Breaking News – Awarded to The Boston Globe for Marathon bombings reports.
- 2013 Online News Association, Breaking News (Large) – Awarded to Boston.com/Bostonglobe.com for Marathon bombings reports.
- Dean’s List – Boston University, Boston, Mass.